Thursday, September 19, 2002

Catching up - Part II

Monday's fast was particularly difficult this year. Normally, on Sunday night, I "bulk up" on a carbohydrate-rich meal, hoping to store away enough energy for the coming day's prayers. This year, I "accidentally" prepared the "normal" low-calorie, low carb meals that have been mandated by the doctor to control my diabetes. By 11:00PM Sunday night, I was already hungry. That's not good news, considering the fast would go until Monday evening at 8:40PM. My biggest hunger pangs came around 7:00AM and 2:00PM on Monday. Then the headache set in. A dull ache that would stay with me throughout the afternoon and evening, and would interfere with my enjoyment of the after-fast family gathering.

During that Monday in shul, I realized how important religious observance is to me (that's not to say I'm completely observant, just that when I am observant, it really feels good). I found myself immersed in the text of the prayer book, following each word - sometimes straining against the background noise of people who were chatting with friends they hadn't seen since the previous year's services.

No comments: