Sunday, September 08, 2002

Rosh Hashana - Day 2

I had insomnia last night. I finally got to sleep around 4:30AM, but woke up at 8:00AM when my wife woke up. I wanted to go back to bed for an hour before getting ready for my dad. He was due to pick me up at 10:00AM for shul. When I woke up, it was 9:55AM! I hurried to throw on a pair of pants and shirt, and quickly sponged off my face to get out the cobwebs. When my dad arrived at the door at 10:02AM, I was ready to go.

It was another good day at shul, very much a continuation of yesterday. There were fewer people than yesterday, but I still felt like I was "home". The high-holidays are traditionally the time when Jewish people are bombarded with messages about charity (specifically the UJA campaign in support of Jewish activities here and in Israel). And, for the first time, there were pamphlets available for the taking. They were published by the Canadian-Israel Committee and contained background information concerning the current situation being played out in Israel. Perhaps this year, I will become a bit more politically active, but the high-holidays is not the time to start.

After the service, I again was taken back to my parents' house, where I was again treated to a meal (though not of the same proportions as yesterday's). My dad was very sleepy after the meal, so my mom ended up driving me home. I got home to an empty household, and am taking the time to post this now, before my wife returns.

No comments: