Saturday, August 16, 2003

All set to go!

Two more weeks in Toronto, and then I'm home. I had prepared a checklist of things that needed to get straightened out, logistically, before I left town. Despite giving that list to my boss nearly 2 months ago, he procrastinated, and finally, on Friday, sat me down to discuss future plans. His vision has changed these past two months, whereby he is considering me for tasks more focused on the core software, and less focused on the internal support and infrastructure improvements. In a way, that's good... because that tells me that I'm a valued part of the core team. However, in other ways, it's not as good.

The company I work for could really use some improvements in their infrastructure, and I was working, behind the scenes and on my own time to ensure that, little by little, those improvements were introduced. By changing my role and denying me the opportunity to take back some of the tools I would have needed to continue my work in that regard, it signals to me that there is no genuine mandate for process improvement. Ultimately, this may be the biggest limiting factor in the continued growth of this company.

This weekend, I'm in Toronto. The following weekend, I go home to carry some boxes, but more importantly, to celebrate my wedding anniversary. And the weekend after that... I'M HOME!!!!

No comments: