Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Dinner at Eight

He's been talking about it for months... how he would like me to come to his home for dinner and an evening of relaxation. Today was the day. And I didn't even know it until late in the afternoon. As I was preparing to leave work, the boss stopped me and asked where I was going. When I told him I was heading home, he asked if I had forgotten his invitation to dinner. To be honest, I can't remember him actually setting a date, but who am I to say no to free food!

I realize I haven't been eating gourmet since I moved here, but it would not be much of an exaggeration to say the meal was exquisite. My bosses' wife is quite a cook, and she had prepared an Italian meal from scratch. I had never tasted such fresh pasta, vegetables (from their garden), and gourmet steak. Not wanting to appear like I didn't enjoy the food, I continued to accept offers for seconds, then thirds, then... ahem... let's just say that it took me a good half hour after eating the meal before I felt enough courage and strength to attempt to stand up and leave the table.

Then, my boss, his wife, his children, and his adorable dog joined me in the sitting room for some not-so-quiet conversation. Each time we started talking, there were interruptions from one or more of his children as well as the kids' friends, who seemed to be knocking at the door nearly every minute. Around 10:00PM, I decided I had stayed long enough. Had I stayed any longer, I would have been out for the night.

Anyway, there is a standing invitation for him and his wife to join my wife and I when next they visit the Windsor area.

No comments: