Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Is it just me?

Well, it's been three days since I got my new glucose meter. I give it a couple of more days before I look like a strung out junkie. The idea that I could test on my forearm, instead of constantly pricking the same two fingers (don't ask!) seemed attractive at the time. The brochure said that the forearm offered a completely painless area for testing. I don't dispute that. I have yet to feel any of the pinpricks, and am always amazed when I see a droplet of blood issue forth from the point of contact. But there's a problem.

Whereas the pinpricks in my finger seem to leave a sore spot for a couple of minutes, and afterwards leave no evidence of any kind, my arm seems to be intent on leaving a blood blister at the point of impact. Right now, my arm looks like a cross between freckles, age spots and needle marks. It's the last scenario that has me concerned. Everyone knows I'm straight as an arrow. I've never sampled alcohol (past the age of 8 when I was expected to partake of Passover wine), never tried a cigarette, and never was curious about drugs. So, walking around with tracks on my arms is quite embarassing.

So, here's my question... how does everyone else react to forearm testing? Does everyone get these unsightly marks, and how long do they last?

No comments: