Tuesday, August 12, 2003

The countdown continues...

What an exciting time! Having just returned from another weekend in Windsor, where I was able to drop off a couple more boxes of stuff. The next trip in two weeks will include all non-essential computer equipment. That will leave just one computer, a bed, a loveseat, a TV and a microwave to be moved on the last weekend of the month. I'm getting excited!

The visit to the doctor's office was less than enjoyable. I got a prescription for an updated glucose monitoring device. My first device was around four years old, and the test strips I had been using were actually expired. I know I've been abusing my body since living on my own, but I hadn't realized the extent to which I had allowed myself to deteriorate. I've used the new monitor four times so far, and none of the readings I've gotten have been encouraging. Because the meter is new, I used the control solution to see whether everything was working properly. My first control reading was out of range - meaning that either something was wrong with the machine, the enclosed test strips, or my procedure. I did a second control reading a day later (after obtaining two, disturbing glucose readings). This time, the control reading was bang on. Since then, I've gotten another two less-than-thrilling readings.

All I can say is, when I move back home, I'll be following a more stringent diet.

Being human (and craving carbohydrates) sucks!

No comments: