Tuesday, August 26, 2003

The last work week begins

Things are really starting to move now. My boss is getting nervous that with my departure to Windsor, the braintrust of all those nifty things I've invented at work will be gone. Whether that means he intends to do away with me, and is only now realizing that no-one else knows how to work my gizmos; or whether he's simply concerned that teaching others how to use my utilities will be best done face-to-face; the boss seems to be a bit nervous.

Today, I was handed several tasks, all of which were contradictory in one form or another. When asked why I was not working on assignment "X", I pointed out a memo saying I should be doing "Y" before "X". However, that memo was in response to a memo from another supervisor who said I should be doing "X" before "Y". Thank god I keep all memos.

And today, I also got grilled about why five different components of a sixteen-component upgrade were not deployed last week before I left on holiday. The boss made his case by pulling out a spreadsheet clearly showing the sixteen requested items. To which I responded with an email from my supervisor, citing the exact same reference spreadsheet (even attaching a copy of the document to the email). The attachment I received last week had eleven (not sixteen) items... all of which were deployed.

I have enjoyed a perk few people get... the ability to set my own hours. I enjoy working into the evening. To avoid working 12-16 hour days perpetually, I simply arrive at work late. Usually, nobody minds. I arrive at 10:30AM and leave between 6:30 and 8:00PM, depending on the amount of work I wish to complete that day. For my last week at work, I have been asked to keep regular hours, so that my hours will coincide more closely with the hours of those employees who I must train.

That's a reasonable request, and so, to bed I go...

No comments: