Saturday, August 23, 2003

Tres cool

I'm home in Windsor this weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary. While here, I decided to start preparing the home office for the transition to telecommuting. Today, we purchased a wireless router (G-class) and a PCI wireless adapter. For the initial test, I installed the router at the current location of the cable modem, and installed the PCI card into one of the computers I brought back from Toronto. It took longer to configure than I thought it would; primarily because some of the security measures I was attempting weren't all that well documented. But, eventually, I got things properly configured.

The wireless setup is so cool. Although I haven't visited a speed-testing site to determine what the throughput is like, there doesn't appear to be any delays in connection or download progress. I'll have to verify that scientifically. Next week, when I am back here permanently, I'll try moving the router to my home office, and installing the PCI card into the computer that's currently connected to the router via wire. Hopefully, there aren't any cable-company filters on the wire that will prevent me from reversing the roles of the two outlets. Currently, the upstairs outlet is deemed an internet connection point, while the downstairs cable is deemed the TV signal source. I'd like to reverse those roles, if possible - moving the main internet access point into my downstairs office.

I head back to Toronto for the "last time" on Sunday. Next weekend, I'll be headed back to Windsor! I can't wait!

No comments: