Friday, August 15, 2003

Lesson learned

I just learned a lesson about the KVM switch. Order matters. Specifically, the computers need to be powered on in a specific sequence for the KVM switch to work properly. Hmm... It might not be too sequence-dependent, but one thing is clear... the computer connected to SLOT 1 needs to be the first to be turned on. I suppose if I had thought about it, it would have been obvious - the keyboard plugged into slot 1 supplies power to the entire KVM switch. So, it there is no power going to slot 1, how is the thing supposed to work?

Thing is, I have two computers that came on simultaneously when I repowered the UPS. But the computer plugged into SLOT 1 takes longer to reboot. Apparently, the computer in slot 2 is not happy with this arrangement. It's yet another thing I have to remember to rewire when I get back home. I'm not going digging through all the wiring trying to redo it before moving back. It's just not worth the effort.

No comments: