Thursday, June 19, 2003

As I was saying...

I decided to change the bedroom switch to circuit (A) to avoid any further interruptions. I realized that now, the bedroom and living room were on the same circuit, but at least it was my circuit. Then one day, something strange happened. I turned on the switch in the living room, but the bedroom light didn't come on. Was it a fluke? Well, no. It turns out that, depending on how long you hold down the switch, it is possible to get one light to turn on. And the order is completely predictable. The living room always goes on before the bedroom (or at least, if you click for a short while, only the living room comes on). And it works in reverse too. If I'm in the bedroom, and want to turn out only the living room light, I click the "off" button for just a short time...

Anyway, that's been working for months without a hitch... until about a week ago. The bedroom light will not come on reliably any more from the bedroom switch. It works fine from the living room switch, and the "OFF" function works ok from the bedroom - just not the "ON". There's another strange thing. When I find myself feeling very warm, the extra body heat makes the switch work, but when I'm cold, or even at "normal" temperature, the bedroom switch will not turn the lights on.

I'm thinking it might be the batteries in the switch that need to be replaced. I might give that a try...

No comments: