Saturday, June 07, 2003

Funny how things work out

I'm sure you've all experienced this before...

You have a problem that you can't solve. So you ask someone to help you, and in the process of describing the problem, you realize what you've been doing wrong. That's how I feel right now, as I sit typing on my new computer, having successfully transfered everything of value from my old system.

The problem turned out to be a combination of things... the firewall, the differences in the networking wizards in Windows XP and Windows ME, and the IP addresses assigned to the computers by the router. I made small mistakes in configuring elements of all these components, and talking about the situation pointed me in the right direction.

It wasn't five minutes after I made my last post when I discovered the cause of the problem. Another two-and-a-half hours to transfer the stuff between computers, and voila!

This weekend is getting off to a great start!

No comments: