Sunday, June 08, 2003

Please don't make me tell you again

I've had my new computer for a week now, and I finally figured it was time to activate Windows XP. I didn't think there would be any drama in this process, but what the heck... I'm also not as paranoid about online security as some people. In fact, I think I'd rather perform registration procedures over the internet (secure connection of course) than over my totally unsecure cell phone.

So, I finally said yes to one of the Microsoft reminder messages, and proceeded to the online activation wizard. My eyesight is not too great at the best of times, but when it comes to reading the small print on the registration certificate (in bad room light), it was a challenge. Particularly difficult is trying to make out the difference between a "B" and an "8". I tried typing the number several times, each time receiving an error that the number was invalid. Then, I got the clever idea to use my video cam, in macro mode to enhance the image... just to make sure I was typing it properly. I was.

With no success online, I switched to the telephone procedure. Justin, the tech I dealt with, was very polite. He asked me to read the activation ID from the Register by phone wizard, and when I did that, and clicked the button to generate a new ID, the computer generated the same ID I had been trying to type before. And, with Justin holding on, I tried one more time to do the online registration. And it failed again.

At this point, Justin asked where I had purchased the computer, and he then advised me that I would have to contact the computer manufacturer.

I hope things go better with them.

No comments: