Monday, April 08, 2002

The Fedex package arrived this morning. This is the package that was scheduled to arrive last Friday from my employer. I guess living in a different country can sometimes stand in the way of paper flow. Anyway, I eagerly opened it, only to learn that a special orientation meeting was scheduled for Monday morning, 9:00AM. The package had arrived at 9:30. Thankfully, there was a contact to call, and I explained that my package had just arrived. Not to worry... due to overflow crowds, a second session would be held at 1:00PM. I got there an hour early...

While waiting, I was able to see people as they came in, each looking like they had been castrated, without benefit of anaesthetic. It was clear I was not alone. People from all backgrounds, many different projects, and various levels of seniority were there. I met people who had just been hired away from their previous employment within the past two weeks (can you spell lawsuit), right up to those that had never worked for anyone else in 24 years of employment. Everyone had their own tale of how they had received the news; as well as tales of colleagues who had survived the purge.

I recognized a number of my colleagues, and was sad to see them suffering the same fate as I. There were even other Canadians, displaced from their cushy U.S. jobs, and wondering what the future would bring. There was some good news...

I found that unemployment insurance would be offered to everyone, with specific eligibility and benefit levels dependent on how many months of full employment had preceded the dismissal, and what level of income had been earned. I also learned that being Canadian did not disqualify me from receiving benefits. This was good news, because, after all, I had been contributing to the unemployment insurance fund for more than four years. It would have been unfair to have been denied a turn at the trough.

Six months of unemployment benefits may be sufficient to keep us in our home while I look for another job. As a result of a search through the local job listings, and contacts made during today's meeting, I have learned of two potential job opportunities; one in Canada, and one in the U.S. I will forward resumes to both prospects within the next 24 hours. So, all in all, not a bad day. Certainly nothing happened to dampen my spirits.

The painter showed up just minutes after the Fedex package. He was ready to go, and did a good job on the patching that inevitably precedes a paint job. I had hoped to be around to supervise and spend some time with him, but the Fedex package put an end to those plans. All the contractors we use have been used before, so we have a comfort level with them being in the house. Still, when you leave your key with a "stranger", you always wonder, in the back of your mind, whether you'll be ripped off. As far as I can tell, everything is where it should be.

Tonight's challenge will be trying to distill 28 years of job experience into a page or two. I've already decided to avoid references to accomplishments that are no longer relevant to today's technology... that leaves about five years worth to cover. Perhaps I'll throw in a couple of sentences about "other" skills, as they might relate to the current environment, but nothing more. I'm a packrat by nature, and it's just as difficult to throw away parts of my resume, but I know it has to be done.

No comments: