Sunday, April 07, 2002

Sunday. A day of rest. Yeah, right! The painter called Friday. Thought he'd be doing us a favour coming early to get the house done. Too bad I forgot to alert my wife until yesterday evening. It meant that the preparation that would have spanned four days now had to be done in one... and I couldn't wimp out after being primarily to blame for the situation.

So, today, in addition to visiting my wife's office (to finish the computer upgrade and office move that we spent five hours on last night), I also had to help her empty the spare bedroom of all furniture so that she could start lifting the carpet. Oh, didn't I mention it... after the painter comes, we'll be putting in new carpet. So, my wife thought it would be a good idea to remove the old carpet before the walls are freshly painted. Damn, why is it women are so well organized.

I'm done my share of the work now (in a fairness sense, it's not really a fair share, but hey, I'm lazy) and I'm back to working on my computer. I'm now buying the newspaper for the large metropolitan area close to where I live; hoping there will be more job ads in that paper than there are in my local one. It's way too early to panic, but it is not to early to make my preparations. So far, so good. In addition to the letter I sent to the local employer, I've also heeded a request to send an updated resume to one of my ex-co-workers. She told me she'd keep it on hand, in case an opportunity presented itself. Whether the offer was made out of sincere respect for my ability, or out of sympathy doesn't really matter. I was touched by the sentiment.

I had written my out-of-town sister a note yesterday inviting her to read my news in the blog. Except for my parents, who are completely computer illiterate, all my family and friends have access to a computer. So, it's so much easier to direct them to the blog than to repeat myself for every member. Anyway, she wrote back today, and it was one of the nicest letters I've ever gotten from her. I guess, despite she being my "baby" sister, she's really not a baby; and her sentiments were clear and well articulated. If you're reading this, thanks for your note.

No comments: