Friday, April 19, 2002

The most wonderful thing about blogging is the comments you get. Anyone who reads my blog can see I don't get many comments. I'm sure the most likely reason is that my blog isn't all that interesting, and certainly not thought provoking. The second reason is that not many people know about my blog. I think there are only two others in the universe that link to mine.

Anyway, I got an email from my sister, commenting on one of the entries in my blog. Without going into detail, she was surprised by a comment I made about sexual orientation, sent a rather long letter expressing her own (dissenting) opinion. My sister is really a fantastic woman. She's smart, level headed, and incredibly tolerant. In these respects, she has all of the available gene pool. Both I and my youngest sister have nothing on her (though my youngest sister might disagree with that). Well, at the risk of provoking more of an outcry, there is a survey being taken here regarding one's opinion on cunnilingus. This time, I will keep my opinions to myself, but encourage all those who wish to take part in the survey to do so.

On a lighter note, I attended the last of my orientation seminars today. The topic was "How to use the internet to further your job search". I figured I knew my way around search engines (from a user's perspective) and had very low expectations that I would learn anything useful at today's seminar. The real reason I chose to attend was so I could register myself in the Job Bank, thereby completing the last step in the process of applying for unemployment insurance. Imagine my surprise when the instructor showed me one search technique that I have NEVER heard of before... Alta Vista (and perhaps other services - I haven't checked) offers a search called the "link" search. Let's say, for example, that I want to find companies who were in some way associated with my old employer. By using the syntax: link:someurl.mycompany.com and clicking the Search button, I will get a list of all the sites that link to my employer's page. In effect, this is a way of getting a pretty comprehensive list of the "partners" my company works with. Perhaps I will get one or two good job leads from such a search. It's a small thing, and some people will say "Didn't you know you could do that?". Well, no, I didn't know.

No comments: