Wednesday, April 10, 2002

Is it early enough to be selective, or should I just blitzkrieg the job market with resumes. I visited the internet site of the "out of town" company that I had intended to apply to, and found that their careers area listed quite a few jobs, none of which I was particularly qualified for. So, do I resist the urge to send a resume, figuring that even if I get an interview, I will flub it; or should I apply because the person who gave me the "hot tip" said they were hiring by the bushel-load.

I am the type of person who learns new skills quickly, so there's something to be said for getting my toe in the door, then proving that the rest of my body should be admitted. Then, there's the side of me that used to read resumes of prospective employees; summarily dismissing those that ignored the basic requirements of the job and decided to waste my time anyway. I'm of two minds on the matter. My wife sounded a bit miffed when I told her I had decided to pass on this opportunity. Perhaps I should reconsider...

No comments: