Saturday, April 06, 2002

I visited my sister yesterday to install her new CD burner. Things went more smoothly than I thought, despite the fact that her internal PC wiring was somewhat complicated by the presence of an internal tape backup device. I had been careful to note all the connections, so in case I could not figure out how to install the new drive, I would be able to return things to normal. There was a scary time for a while, when it looked like the second connector on the hard drive's ribbon cable would not reach the bay where the CD burner was installed. Then I realized it didn't have to... with a bit of rewiring, I was able to connect the tape drive to the hard drive's ribbon cable. That left the original tape drive connector free to be used with the burner. Technical and boring, I know, but I'm glad it all worked out.

While the burner software was being updated via telephone download, I had nearly an hour to visit with her. We took the time to discuss in more detail the predicament I find myself in. By the time the conversation was over, her husband had already arrived home from work and joined the discussion. I know they feel sorry they can't do more for me, but their concern was still touching. I'm lucky to have such a supportive family network.

Anyway, with the installation and visit completed, I went on my merry way.

Today, I'm taking it easy, relaxing at home. I got a call from our daughter in Hamilton. She's been reading the blog, and called just to say hi. I miss her.

This will be the first weekend ever that I will have to be concerned with what I do, or how much I spend. It will be difficult, but I'll get used to it.

No comments: