Thursday, April 18, 2002

This morning, I headed out early to get a cracked windshield replaced. Leasing companies frown upon having their cars returned with broken windshields, so I thought it might be a good idea to do it now. Hopefully, my decision to fix it a full two months before the car is scheduled to be returned won't backfire. All I need is for the window to get broken again.

While the window was being replaced, I decided to drop in on my wife. She works about a mile from the shop, so I decided to take a short walk. When I got there, I got permission to use the community internet system and did a scan of the news. I was very sad to see that the U.S. had accidentally bombed a contingent of Canadian soldiers overnight in Afghanistan. Those are the first Canadians to die in combat since the Korean War. I hope it doesn't shake the resolve of the Canadian government to do its fair share in the war against terrorism, but it is still a sad event.

Once I leave my wife's office and pick up the car, I will continue with the office cleaning I started yesterday. I think it is best that I maintain my momentum, so that I can finish the job while I'm motivated. I don't stay motivated for long for things such as massive cleanups.

I got an email out of the blue yesterday afternoon from a salesman at my former place of business. He had heard that the company was laying off massive numbers of people, and on a whim, called to see if I had survived the purge. I think he was genuinely surprised when I told him of my plight. This gentleman is a real mensch and of his own volition, found a client that is currently looking to hire experts in my field. He offered my name, and the client agreed that it would be a good idea for me to forward a resume. So, last night, I sent off an updated resume. I am wondering whether I will get a call today...

I'm supposed to visit the Unemployment Office tomorrow for a scheduled seminar. This seminar has been rescheduled once already, and hopefully, tomorrow will be the day. While I'm there, I think I'll finish the process of validating my Unemployment Insurance claim by getting my resume into the national job search data base.

It's a little over a week until my parents return from their winter holiday down south. I'm looking forward to seeing them. It's been a long winter...

No comments: