Wednesday, April 24, 2002

I wish I could say things are going better on the job front, but it has been discouraging so far. I have not been sending out resumes indiscriminately, choosing instead to send them only to companies I believe are offering a good fit. So far, except for emails acknowledging receipt of the resume, I have heard nothing. And my resume in the job bank is faring no better. It's cool, the statistics available from this bank... you get to see how often your resume was found during employer searches. And then you get to see how many times your resume was actually scanned in detail, after it was found. In the three business days following its posting, my resume was "found" in 10 searches, but not scanned even once in detail. I don't know whether that means I don't have the qualifications required, or whether my resume came up so low in the search order than there was no need to go that far down. I've called my advisor for help in getting my resume to "show" better in searches, but so far, she hasn't gotten the time to get to my resume.

My sister in law called yesterday with information about a job site I had not heard of before. She's been praying for me, and apparently has also been looking to help me get a new job. That was a very sweet thing for her to do. If you're reading this, thank you.

Well, I polished off the remaining chocolate covered almonds yesterday, all on my own, and got a sore tummy in the process. I ate them because they were there, not because I had a craving. It's now about 12 hours after I had them, and my tummy is still sore. Not only that, but I woke up in the middle of the night with a massive headache, no doubt caused by sugar overload. I had to take aspirin before I could get back to sleep. Boy, I sure can exhibit self-destructive tendencies when I choose to!

Meanwhile, on the retraining front, I am making very good headway with my Java training. I am actually understanding everything I am learning, and really look forward to doing some meaningful programming. I already know exactly what application I want to start working on, and I think it could be a money-making proposition (in case I don't land a job soon). I'm getting pumped. I just wish I owned a Windows NT/Windows 2000/Windows XP Professional desktop computer, so I could deploy a web server application. Windows ME seems to be the worst-supported variant of the Windows family of products. Just my luck...

No comments: