Thursday, June 20, 2002

I'm quickly learning the workings of the Unemployment Insurance system. They like to receive premiums and minimize payouts - sounds like the typical insurance company.

I had mentioned in a prior post that my unemployment claim had been rejected. That letter gave me 30 days from the date of mailing to challenge the ruling. I had assumed that the whole issue of that letter was dead, because I was now claiming unemployment through the Canadian system. Little did I know that the Canadian system won't pay if the American system (from which the payments ultimately come) have rejected the claim. Luckily, I had another reason to contact the office today, and I found out that the challenge must be filed. The deadline for the filing is tomorrow.

So, I got all my paperwork out, in support of my application, and on the spot put together my response to the assessment. And as instructed, I faxed the response to the Unemployment Agency this afternoon.

The way things have been progressing, I may either be reemployed, or dead before I see a penny of unemployment insurance money.

No comments: