Saturday, June 08, 2002

The Interviews

I've already mentioned that the first interview went well. The interview with the second client went even better. I really want to work for the second company. For one thing, it's a full-time on-staff job, as opposed to working as a hired-out consultant like my last job. The last job was for a company that had a reputation for not laying off staff that were not currently "out-for-hire". This is not the industry norm, however, and the company I saw this morning has no such policy. So, while I'm "working" for a client, I get paid; but the minute I'm not working for a client, the paychecks stop.

There's nothing inherently "unfair" about that policy, but it means that my earning potential is left in the hands of a marketing person who is not in any way responsible to me. I don't want to necessarily go through that again, unless I have no choice.

The company I interviewed with this afternoon is one I had previously worked for (as a consultant). I know their management, and some of their employees. And it's a staff position. Sure, there is still the possibility of layoffs, but the whole thing here is that they are hiring to fill a need for talent. Unless that need disappears, there's no reason to part with the talent. It's by far the better deal for me, long term, as it means working locally, and not having to do the "big move".

Meanwhile, as I half-expected, the Vancouver company did not call back today for the technical interview. I have come to expect them never to call back when they say they will. So far, they have always called back - just not on time! I wonder if this is something that should concern me?

No comments: