Saturday, June 01, 2002

I've been busy

We'd been talking about listing the house for quite some time, and my wife has been busy for the past several weeks: cleaning, doing a bit of redecoration, sprucing up the place - all in preparation for "the day". The day when the real-estate advisor would come through to take pictures for the official website listing.

Being the lazy procrastinator I am, my tasks were left fairly late. But I still got to them. In fact, I did more in some regards than my wife would have expected. Yesterday was the day when I had to bite the bullet and get down to that final spurt of effort required to clean my private home/office. I had been doing well at it when I first got the inclination, but the inclination didn't last long. Yesterday felt like I was back in college, cramming for finals. I only wish I had thought to take a "before" picture of my room, because the "after" pictures sure impressed my wife!


The network server and cam servers    Primary workstation and lounger


The appraiser called back, and the figure he quoted was gratifying. We'd been warned that people often feel their homes are worth more than the market will bear, because of the love and attention they've lavished on them. That was a concern to us as well. And we were pleased that the official written appraisal was significantly higher than the free appraisal we received over the phone from a real-estate agent. The money we paid to get the "customized" appraisal was worth the difference we'll make on the sale.

So late this afternoon, the real-estate advisor came to take pictures, get official information about the property, and get the paperwork started. We expect that by Tuesday or Wednesday, at the latest, our property will be on the real estate website. And next weekend, we will host our first open house. The sign went on the front lawn, and within 15 minutes, we'd already received our first inquiry. Obviously, we have a curious neighbour.

No comments: