Friday, May 31, 2002

The appraiser hath come

Though I'll try not to allow myself too much optimism, the appraiser has been and gone. His words walking in the door were: "I can already see you've made lots of improvements to this house". His followup comment, less than two minutes later was: "You'll have absolutely no trouble selling this house".

OK, that's a load off my mind. But the big remaining question (the one he'll answer tonight) is: what will we be asking when we list the house

For a person who wastes no time going from room to room, it was interesting how he quickly picked up on the subtle things - the things we didn't even think to point out. For example, he noticed that the grade of ceramic tile we had used was higher than normal. And that the pattern they were laid in was not standard - that the amount of labour to place the tile was more than usually required.

Most of the large tile companies in our city are owned by Italian families. Whether that's coincidental or not, I can't say, because my experience with tiling companies is limited to my geographical area. As he was leaving, one of his last comments was "You've made some Italian family very happy". I guess that means he liked the tile.

Now, I hope potential buyers will too!

No comments: