Wednesday, March 06, 2002

How do good intentions go awry? This morning, I awoke on the couch, having succumbed to self-induced insomnia by staying up most of the night watching TV. My wife stuck her head into the room to announce that Daisy was on her way to the "spa" (we say that so Daisy won't get upset about getting a bath and nail clippings - think she really knows what's going on). I nodded wearily, and went back to sleep. Just before 9:00AM, I woke up again, this time for good. And in that moment, I realized where I had not been at 7:45AM. Oops! It had totally slipped my mind. I was supposed to be at my cousin's house. Ordinarily, this would not have been tragic, except I had specifically promised to be there. And you want to hear another bummer... I had a dental appointment scheduled for the end of February. About three weeks before the appointment, the dentist called and said they needed to reschedule because they were moving to a new facility, and their office would be closed the last week of February. Not a problem, just reschedule. So they did. For tomorrow at 6:20PM - an appointment I had totally forgotten until they called to confirm yesterday evening. Which means I will miss the evening service at my cousin's house tomorrow. What's more, with my penchant for short-term memory loss, it's even money I forget the dental appointment too.

But there is some good news. I have glasses with two arms. Ones that stay on my head when I look down. Ones that allow the lenses to remain in their proper position, so I don't have to constantly adjust them. It's amazing how much we take for granted the little things.

No comments: