Saturday, March 09, 2002

I'm in love with someone other than my wife. It's my doctor. He called on Friday with the results of my latest blood tests. As I expected, my diabetes continues to be under control, and I've finally gotten to the point where I am comfortable with most of the restrictions on my diet relative to sugar intake. I just have to reduce the carbs a bit more. My blood-sugar readings are well within the range of a non-diabetic, and have been for quite some time. Now, the cholesterol is a different matter. While the bad cholesterol is now under control (the doctor called the readings "phenomenal"), the good cholesterol is still very low. As I expected, the doctor has grown impatient with my inability to bring the numbers up on my own. Soon, I will begin a drug regimen to help bring those numbers up.

I will try to help my cause by losing some weight, although I need to do it in a way that can be maintained for long periods. Special diets, and forced exercise won't cut it long term. I had been avoiding the treadmill due to an injury to my back back in January. I think it's time to start back with my simple walking regimen. That, along with the drug treatments, should help me get my cholesterol back up. I wonder whether an improvement in this area will give me more energy.

I've had a wonderful afternoon with my wife today. Things have been stressful lately, what with the hunt for automobiles, and the uncertainty about my job. All I can do is keep taking the self-improvement courses, and keep up with my technical capabilities. I'm back to doing a couple of pet projects. But, I'm trying to find a way to do them using a different computer technology - one that's more mainstream. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash to go out and buy an expensive software development suite, so I may have to resort to Linux and Java freeware. It's not the way I'd prefer to go, but I may not have a choice.

No comments: