Thursday, March 21, 2002

My wife and I are both very religious. Those who know me and read this will agree with my statement as it applies to my wife, but will scoff at the idea that I am religious. After all, I rarely attend religious services, rarely practice the tenets of my religion, and have one of the blackest hearts and foulest mouths of anyone I know. But I believe in God. I believe in the supreme being, that He has the power and wisdom to do whatever needs to be done, and that He can be called on in times of need and will listen.

I cannot begin to tell you about the countless times when God has helped me avoid death or injury. Others could try to explain it away as "luck" or "coincidence", but that would be a cop-out. My wife has had similar experiences. Unlike me, my wife has an ongoing dialog with God. She not only believes... she worships. She prays for others, not just herself. She is pure of heart and soul, and God loves her.

So, yesterday, when my wife asked God for something selfish, something that would help her cope with a situation she had lost control over, something that was causing her such stress as to threaten her physical and mental health, she was almost apologetic. And God listened. Only hours after my wife prayed for a miracle, it was delivered. Again, non-believers could try to explain it by coincidence, luck, or any number of unrelated events. Bottom line, my wife needed something - something she could not accomplish herself; and that "something" was delivered to her without her asking any human for assistance.

What would you call that?

No comments: