Monday, March 04, 2002

I'm back home after my visit with the doctor. He wasn't as ornery as I had expected, probably because my weight had not climbed as much as I had previously thought. I think it was only a pound or two above my last visit. Blood was drawn, in order to check my cholesterol and blood sugar levels, but I am not anticipating a large change from the readings of four months ago.

Doc has been concerned with my cholesterol for some time. While the medication I am on has brought my "bad" cholesterol down to acceptable levels, he still thinks my "good" cholesterol needs to be raised. I think I'll have one more crack at doing it myself (using the treadmill). If I don't show improvement on my next visit (or perhaps even after today's blood test), I believe the doc is going to start me on more medication.

I have to do some research for recreational purposes this afternoon, but after that, it's back to work. I've been having lots of trouble connecting to various web sites of late, and I'm beginning to think it's my cable modem. I've had it nearly two years, and it may be time for an upgrade. A call to the tech centre today got me in touch with a guy who tried all the non-hardware ways to improve performance - cleaning out my cache, my cookies, and tweaking my registry settings. Still, after all that, it took over 30 seconds to get my homepage to come up. He found that unacceptable, and has issued me authorization to trade my modem for a newer model. I'll do that tomorrow morning.

Yesterday, I had commented on how cold it was, and that despite the cold, there were many people at the funeral. Damn, yesterday was a walk on the beach compared with this morning. The temperature outside was -13C (8F) when I left the house this morning. That makes it officially the coldest day of the winter thusfar, and just five days ago, the temperature was in the low 60's.

That's enough for now. Got to get some errands done.

No comments: