Monday, March 11, 2002

I called GM today to verify what it would cost to buy out the lease on my car. I had underestimated the amount by nearly $4000, so the payments to keep this current car (instead of getting a new one) just went up by over $200 per month. That makes it impractical to keep the current car. Then, I went to another site, that offers appraisals of used vehicles. The appraisal on my current car comes in at about $3000 less than what I would have to pay GM to buy out my lease. There goes my incentive to buy the car out!

When I first got this car, I marvelled at how much value I was getting. So, on a lark, I went to a new car site to price out the current year's model of the same car, equipped exactly as the one I have now. Guess what? GM must have figured they were giving away this car too cheaply, because the cost to replace this vehicle with the same model is more than any of the other cars I've been considering - and not by a small amount! So, now I'm doubly depressed. Not only is it not cost effective to buy this car out, but replacing it with the same model will cost me more than replacing it with other models I've been considering.

Maybe I should start taking the bus!

No comments: