Thursday, March 21, 2002

I am not very social. Even when attending parties, I tend to speak when spoken to, and very rarely do I initiate conversation. Among strangers, this is not necessarily a fault (unless you're in marketing), but among family members, it can be perceived that way. For the past couple of days, I've experimented with being more proactive in contacting family, just to say "Hi". It really is funny the reactions I've gotten.

First, I contacted my youngest sister, who regularly forwards email humour to me. Sometimes, I respond to her emails (more often I don't). But yesterday, I sent an email to her. I guess I just wanted to be the one to initiate contact, but it was very strange. I really had nothing to say - nothing to report. So, I sent her a link to an interesting site that I had found. Turns out, she had already received this link from someone else. Oh well...

Then, I called my parents (who spend the winter months in warmer climes - lucky them) just to talk. My mom answered with "what's the occasion". It didn't surprise me, or even annoy me. It was a completely valid question. Except for birthdays, anniversaries, or every second weekend, I never really contact them much. That will have to change too. They are getting on in years, and I'd hate to be one of those people who regrets not taking the time to really appreciate them while they're around. Anyway, I had a good talk with my mom, and then I spoke with my dad awhile. At my age, I guess I'm lucky to still have both my parents.

Today, I think I'll take some time to contact my other sister. I haven't talked with her in a while.

No comments: