Saturday, May 18, 2002

As much as I detest the hold that Microsoft has on the software world, I still can't deny it has the lion's share of the browser users, and in the creation of this blog, I hadn't realized how many style elements I had been using that are not available on earlier versions of Netscape.

Something in a post by kd made me realize that I should take a look with the Netscape 4.7 browser to see what some users might be missing. What I've discovered is that those users' browsers don't properly render the "hover" directive, or the "small" font directive. Furthermore, where there are conflicts between various definitions in the style sheet, the Netscape browser resolves the conflicts differently than IE does. And finally, IE tends to be more forgiving of unmatched directives (like an ENDBOLD tag without a corresponding BOLD tag) than Netscape is.

I've made some minor changes to currently displayed entries to make the blogging experience better for the older Netscape browser, and will try to preview my entries with both browsers. However, if I don't want to make this a full-time job, I will have to continue on with the style sheet the way it currently sits - which means users with newer versions of browsers will be better served than those with older versions.

Please accept my apologies.

No comments: