Wednesday, May 29, 2002

Randomness and the Internet

Earlier today I posted about a visitor who found my site through RandomWebsite.com. It got me thinking about randomness. How do we find people on the net that we hadn't specifically been searching for. Does the principle of "six degrees of separation" hold in cyberspace? Frankly, that's too broad and vexing a problem to be considering bleary eyed and sleep-deprived at this time of night. But here's the reason I started this post. A few minutes ago, Eva left a comment on one of my blog entries. I followed the link to her site, and discovered that among the very few links she had posted there, were links to two people whose blogs I visit often, as well as a link to the aforementioned RandomWebsite.com. So here's my question: had I not heard about RandomWebsite.com due to a visit earlier today, would I have discovered it just now by visiting Eva's site? Was it "random" that I discovered it, or pre-ordained?

<insert "Twilight Zone" theme music here>

... and another thing ...

Still on the subject of randomness, I really like sites where things like random pictures, or random quotes appear when the page is accessed. I am still very much a novice when it comes to Javascript programming, but I was curious how these random effects were generated. To satisfy my curiosity, I viewed the source on Kare's site and borrowed (for study only) a Javascript file that controls one of the random behaviours. Now that I understand more about how to implement "random" events on a webpage, I will be generating my own scripts in the next day or so to randomly load one of the several temperature bars available from this site.

No comments: