Tuesday, May 21, 2002

Time for a poll (not one of those fancy on-screen ones that I need to use a template for - just a plain old poll in my comment section). OK, here's the scoop. I'm currently unemployed. I have a rare set of skills that used to be valuable. Now, even though the skillset is still rare, it appears to be far less valuable than it used to be. So, I apparently need to retrain myself before I will be marketable at a decent salary.

My background is client/server application programming using high-end development software (i.e. not the stuff you can buy in a software store, or even over the internet). Web programming thusfar has been limited to DHTML templates (they were populated by said application software); Dreamweaver; a bit of Javascript, and recently a touch of Java. My skillset does NOT include any Microsoft programming products (with the exception of Visual Basic for Applications - VBA), though I do have "dated" experience in C and a good working knowledge of Microsoft's Desktop applications.

Here's the question... what can I learn reasonably quickly, that is currently "in demand" and is not yet an overcrowded field. I would define "overcrowding" as being a situation where prospective employers have so many potential candidates with those skills to choose from that they can afford to pay peanuts.

Your suggestions are welcomed.

No comments: