Wednesday, May 08, 2002

Lee's list of TV favourites inspired me to add my own. I'm a TV addict, a junk TV addict. I enjoy loud programs, with lots of action and ear-splitting soundtracks. I also enjoy shows about any aspect of the law. So, here is my list of TV favourites...

Sunday
Alias kicks butt. I really love the action, plot twists, and romantic possibilities. As for Sydney's mother still being alive, ask my wife. I guessed she was still alive back during the very first episode when they said she was dead.
The Practice used to be a better show. I had all but abandoned it, but started watching again when Law and Order - Criminal Intent went into reruns.
Law and Order - Criminal Intent is another new program I thoroughly enjoy. Every once in a while, I think the plot is a bit over the top (how did the detective make the connection between X and Y). But most of the time, I just relax and enjoy the show.
Monday
Boston Public has got to be one of the better shows on TV. It tackles sensitive issues relating to life in school, and the characters are all so interesting.
Ally McBeal is another show I had stopped watching, but started again when Bon Jovi joined the cast. Now that the show has become interesting again, they've decided to end it all. Maybe there'll be a spinoff.
Third Watch has been a good program since it hit the air. This has been a rough season, story-wise, since there has been so much reference to Sept. 11th. It has made the series that much stronger.
Tuesday
JAG has been a favourite for years. As much as I enjoy the courtroom drama, I really want the two main characters to get together romantically. In a way, it's good they haven't allowed it to happen yet, because I find the writing goes down the tubes on shows where the anticipated relationships are allowed to happen. Still, I want to see these two characters together.
24 is the only show I will tape if I'm not going to be there to see it. As much as I enjoy the other programs I watch, I can't bear the thought of missing an episode of this program. Last night, there was a storm brewing while this program was on, and I found myself praying there would be no loss of signal.
NYPD Blue is my longest running favourite. I started watching the show just as David Caruso was leaving the cast, and I've been hooked ever since.
Prior to 24 coming on air, I had been enjoying The Guardian. Unfortunately, I've put that show on the backburner until 24 is concluded.
Wednesday
Ed is perhaps the only light show I watch. Sometimes there's controversy, but mostly, I watch for the anticipated romance. I'm looking forward to the remaining episodes this season.
West Wing, the most intelligently written show to ever grace the airwaves is my all-time favourite. The cast is brilliant, the interplay perfect. I have no idea what I'll do when this show goes off the air. Heck, they're going to have to repeal term limits to keep Martin Sheen in office for more than eight years.
Law and Order, a long running favourite, has gone through several changes in casting, and each time, it has taken some effort to adjust to the new dynamic. It (and NYPD Blue) seems to be better at surviving these changes than most shows.
Thursday
CSI is a show that I enjoy because it challenges the conventional wisdom. My signature episode was the one with the scuba diver stuck in the tree. I came into that episode prepared to deal with the conventional "urban legend" theory of the crime. What they did with that plot line blew me away. A criminal's worst nightmare would be for criminalists to REALLY be that good.
The Agency has been among the shows not afraid to work terrorism and al-Qaida specifically into the plots. I guess JAG has done so too, on a limited basis, but this show is better in that regard. I enjoy the casting in this program almost as much as in West Wing.
ER had been a favourite for years, but it was getting old, and the introduction of The Agency as an alternative choice sealed it for me. But, when The Agency is in reruns, ER is still my viewing choice.
Friday
Dark Angel is a sinful pleasure. Jessica Alba is delicious, and I am always hoping there will be romance for her and "Logan".
Law and Order SVU, another member of the L&O franchise is my least riveting. Yet, I was a real fan of the "Homicide" series, and enjoy seeing the resurrection of the Munch character.
Other Favourites
There are other shows I try to catch, when they're on regularly and don't interfere with my "must-see" choices. Among them are: Philly; DaVinci's Inquest (a show available only in Canada - and the best "coroner" type series to ever hit the airwaves); Crossing Jordan; and The American Embassy (a mid-season replacement for Ally McBeal that seems to have disappeared from Fox's website - what a shame).

No comments: